Bangladesh Betar is the largest electronic medium in the country. It started broadcasting on 16 December 1939 as All India Radio at Nazimuddin Road, old part of present Dhaka City. Later on in 1962 the radio station was shifted to Shahbag at its own house. In 1971, radio changed its role as a propaganda machine and emerged as a front to assist the nation to achieve the independence. With the historic declaration of independence on March 26, 1971 the ‘Swadhin Bangla Betar Kendra’ started functioning playing vital role in broadcasting motivational programmes and championing the cause of liberation war. Radio Bangladesh started function from all the stations since Bangladesh victory on 16 December, 1971. In 1976 Radio Bangladesh installed 1000 KW transmitting station at Dhamrai, Dhaka. On 30 July, 1983 Dhaka Broadcasting House was shifted to National Broadcasting House at Sher-e-Bangla Nagar in the city and the former Broadcasting House at Shahbagh turned into Head Office of Bangladesh Betar.
Radio transmission in the region now forming Bangladesh started in Dhaka on December 16, 1939. Initially, the station was located in old Dhaka. Later, the station was relocated to Shahbag. It played an important role during the Bangladesh Liberation War of 1971. On March 26, 1971, the broadcasting center of Radio Pakistan was used to transmit a declaration of independence, which was picked up by a Japanese ship in the Chittagong Harbor and retransmitted. During the war, it was known as Shwadhin Bangla Betar Kendro (Independent Bengal Radio Station). Because of heavy shelling, the station had to be relocated several times, and ultimately moved to Calcutta on May 25, from where it would broadcast until the end of the war. On December 6, it was renamed Bangladesh Betar.