Does this listing belong to you or your company?
Create an account now and claim this listing.
Khulna University is one of the public universities in Bangladesh. It is situated at Gollamari, Khulna, Bangladesh, by the river Moyur, beside the Khulna-Satkhira highway. The academic programs of Khulna University started on 31 August 1991 with only 80 students in four disciplines. Currently, Khulna university has 22 disciplines under five schools and one institute. It is the only university in Bangladesh where student politics is not allowed.There is also no session jam which has created a stable facility of study. Students passing Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC) examination are very much interested in their admission in Khulna University for this politics-free, session-jam free environment. Khulna is an administrative Division as well as the third largest metropolitan city in Bangladesh. The Mongla Sea Port, the Shipyard, the Bangladesh Naval Base are in Khulna. Khulna is well known as industrial city and famous for the Sundarbans.
In 1974, the Kudrat-e-Khuda Commission stated the importance of establishing a public university in Khulna Division in its final report. The government finalized the programme of establishing a university at Khulna on 4 January 1987 and eventually the Khulna University Act was passed in the Bangladesh National Parliament in July 1990. Distinctive law named খুলনা বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় আইন (The Khulna University Act, 1990) passed in the parliament empowers this university. Accordingly, the university started its formal inauguration of academic activities on 25 November 1991.
- 1974: The importance of establishing a university in Khulna Division was first mentioned in the report of Kudrat-e-Khuda Commission.
- 1979: (November) The Cabinet of Ministers took the decision for establishing a technical university. The local people demanded a general university.
- 1985: The government formed two committees: Zillur Rahman Siddiqui Committee (for preparing academic and administrative programmes) and Mahbubuzzaman Committee (for the selection of site).
- 1987: (4 January) The government finalized the programme of establishing a university at Khulna on the basis of the reports of the above committees.
- 1988: (25 February) Nurul Islam, the then Divisional Commissioner, was appointed the Project Director for establishing the university.
- 1988: (2 August) Abdur Rahim, the then divisional commissioner, was appointed the project director. After him Prof. Dr. Md. Abdul Bari served as project director.
- 1989: (9 March) The then President Hussain Muhammad Ershad laid the foundation stone.
- 1989: (1 August) Prof. Dr. Golam Rahman of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) was appointed the project director.
- 1990: (June) The Khulna University Act 1990 was passed in Jatyo Sangsad.
- 1990: (31 July) The Khulna University Act 1990 was published in gazette form.
- 1991: (August) Project director Prof. Dr. Golam Rahman was appointed the first vice chancellor.
- 1991: (3 August) First orientation was held.
- 1991: (31 August) The academic programme of the university started.
- 1991: (25 November) The academic programme was formally inaugurated by the then Prime Minister Begum Khaleda Zia.
- 1993: (23 August) Prof. Dr. Golam Ali Fakir of Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU) was appointed the second Vice Chancellor.
- 1997: (10 April) The first convocation was held.
- 1997: (23 August) Prof. Dr. Nazrul Islam of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) was appointed the third vice chancellor.
- 2001: (14 February) The second convocation was held.
- 2003: (9 March) The first senate meeting was held.
- 2010:(28 December) The fourth convocation was held.
Aims and objectives:
To impart general and technology-based and need oriented higher education befitting the age
- To generate the skilled based manpower in order to exploit, utilize and conservee resources for sustainable development of the region and the country as a whole, keeping the process and impact of the globalization in mind
- To offer the quality education and to maintain the highest academic standard in line with the international standard of education
- To undertake fundamental and applied research in the relevant field of knowledge
- To produce capable manpower to contribute to fulfill the global demands by equitable participation
There are five schools in Khulna University which have 22 discipline:
- Life Science School
- School of Arts and Humanities
- School of Management and Business Administration
- School of Social Science
- Science Engineering and Technology School
Science, Engineering and Technology (SET) School
- Architecture (ARCHI) Discipline
- Chemistry (CHEM) Discipline
- Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) Discipline
- Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) Discipline
- Mathematics (MATH) Discipline
- Physics (PHY) Discipline
- Statistics (STAT) Discipline
- Urban and Rural Planning (URP) Discipline
Life Science (LS) School
- Agrotechnology (AT) Discipline
- Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering (BGE) Discipline
- Environmental Science (ES) Discipline
- Fisheries and Marine Resources Technology (FMRT) Discipline
- Forestry and Wood Technology (FWT) Discipline
- Pharmacy (PHARM) Discipline
- Soil Science (SS) Discipline
School of Management & Business Administration (SOMBA)
- Business Administration (BA) Discipline
Social Science School
- Economics (ECON) Discipline
- Development Studies (DS) Discipline
- Sociology (SOC) Discipline
Arts and Humanities School
- Bangla Language and Literature (BNL) Discipline
- English (ENG) Discipline
The Institute of Fine Arts started in academic session 2009–2010. Now it offers Bachelor of Fine Arts (abbreviated as BFA) in three concentrations:
1. Drawing and Print making. 2. Painting. 3. Sculpture. soon it will launch Master of Fine Arts (MFA).
- Institute of ICT
The institute of Information and communication technologies will start operation shortly.
Degrees offered by KU: At a Glance
School of Life Science
- Agrotechnology Discipline -> BSc. (Hons.), MSc., PhD
- Biotechnology Discipline -> BSc., MSc., PhD
- Environment Science Discipline -> BSc., MSc., PhD
- Fisheries and Marine Resource Technology Discipline -> BSc., MSc., PhD
- Forestry and Wood Technology Discipline -> BSc. (Hons.), MSc, PhD
- Pharmacy Discipline -> B. Pharm., M. Pharm.
- Soil Science Discipline -> BSc. (Hons.), MSc., PhD
School of Science, Engineering and Technology
- Architecture Discipline -> B. Arch., M. Arch.
- Computer Science and Engineering Discipline -> BSc. Engg.(Accredited by Institute of Engineers,Bangladesh,The second discipline in Bangladesh offering Engineering Degree in CSE), MSc. Engg., PGDIT
- Chemistry Discipline -> BSc. (Hons.), MSc. (Proposed)
- Electronics and Communication Engineering Discipline -> BSc. Engg., MSc. Engg.
- Mathematics Discipline -> BSc. (Hons.), MSc., PhD
- Physics Discipline -> BSc. (Hons.), MSc. (Proposed)
- Statistics Discipline -> BSc. (Hons.), MSc. (Proposed)
- Urban and Rural Planning Discipline -> BURP, MURP, PhD
School of Management and Business Administration
- Business Administration Discipline -> BBA, MBA, MBA (Evening), Defense MBA
School of Social Science
- Economics Discipline -> BSS (Hons.), MSS, PhD
- Social Science Discipline -> BSS (Hons.), MSS, PhD
- Development Studies Discipline -> BSS (Hons.), MDS, PhD
School of Arts and Literature
- English Discipline -> BA (Hons.), MA, PhD
- Bangla Discipline -> BA (Hons.), MA, PhD
Institute of Fine Arts
- IFA offers BFA degree.
Khulna University Central library was established in 1987. Before, it was housed at Academic Building I, D block. The present library room has a total floor space of 5,000 sq. ft. (approximately 465 sq meters). The library shifted in its own building now. The reading room has accommodation for 125 students, 25 teachers and research scholars working simultaneously. Khulna University library has a total collection of 24,845 reading materials, including nearly 22,645 books, more than 200 bound volumes of journals. The university library has been taken under computer network and all the necessary arrangements have been made for communication with different national and international university and institutions through Internet.
Presently the library is linked with the “Automation and Networking of Science Technology Libraries in Bangladesh” (BANSLINK) a pilot project of the Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of Bangladesh and Bangladesh National Scientific and Technical Documentation Center (BANSDOC) is the executing agency of the Project. Khulna University also linked with Bangladesh Education and Research Network. (BERNET) Project organized by University Grants Commission (UGC), Bangladesh.
The central library is a wi-fi hotspot and students can surfe the internet with very high bandwidth.
Khulna University has three halls of residence for the students. Two more student Halls (One for male and another for female) are under process:
- Khan Jahan Ali Hall (Male Students)
- Khan Bahadur Ahsanullah Hall (Male Students)
- Aparajita Hall (Female Students)
- New male students Hall (Under construction)
- Second female Hall (Under process)
Khan Jahan Ali Hall and Khan Bahadur Ahsanullah Hall provide residence for the undergraduate and postgraduate male students; the residence for the female students is Aparajita Hall.